This year, my word was CONNECTION. As I love planning and list-making, I ended up with four categories of connection, and one sub-category per lunar month:
Connecting to Space:
- Streamline & minimise
- Set up a proper altar I can use for my pagan practise
- Connect with the land every fortnight
- Cut down on the processed foods; and get a good exercise routine going, and to keep my sleep and brain as healthy and effective as possible
Connecting to Legacy:
- Understand my family tree and the heritage this land; and in exploring Celtic spirituality, reach out to the Germanic and Saxon paths which have influenced it
- Explore and redefine my labels
- Read 26 books this year
Connecting to Emotion:
- Explore my feelings of non-violence and compassion toward others
- Explore why I feel the need to express everything, spend more time in quiet and see where this fear of really stems from
Connecting to Practise:
- Reconnect with spiritual energy (Reiki, meditation)
- Practise redefinition by default, practising what I preach
- Practise Paganism more often – prayer, meditation, ritual and OBOD study
- Discover why I’ve chosen Druidry, and what I want to pass on to my children
As you may be able to tell from the lack of posts about this challenge, I didn’t do as well as I’d have hoped…
Connecting to Space ~ I did make a lot of minimalism progress, moving into a flat and removing extraneous items. However, this needs to continue.
~ I did not set up a working altar for the whole year, but I did a lot of work in terms of ritual with others and I’m still working through the Gwers. I also completed Dianne Sylvan’s Spiritual Nomad course, which included work on my altar.
~ I did connect with the land often for the first six months, but by July, that faded. Now I have a car, I’ve noticed it’s even less likely to happen.
~ Processed foods dropped a couple of times in the year, but I need to get serious about this again. I lost motivation for exercising too, so I need to work out what made this ‘not matter’ before I try again.
Connecting to Legacy ~ The Gwers talk a bit about the legacy of this land, and the family tree is in progress.
~ I’ve done a LOT of work on labels and redefinition this year. From starting new placements, completing an MSc and driving to moving out to live alone and starting a new job.
~ I used to be an avid reader, but that slipped. So I planned to read one book per fortnight (26). At this rate, I’ll be at 24 by New Year’s Day. I might even consider that a success, as last year I only managed 12.
Connecting to Emotion ~ I’ve spent a lot of this year coming to terms with the fact I’m not naturally non-violent, but actually do seem to be naturally compassionate. I’ve spent a lot of time feeling “overly-sensitive” since trying to find my innate care for others.
~ The fear of silence is less of a fear now, though I haven’t yet found the stem of it.
Connecting to Practise ~ I reduced my meditation, but did more Reiki this year
~ I’ve been quite good in terms of practising what I preach; even releasing the Alchemy of Redefinition course.
~ The final two items about paganism and how I practise are still in progress. Studying for an MSc meant I didn’t study the Gwers as much as planned, and the travel meant missing group ritual and moots.
So the way I count that, I’d say that’s 7/13 partially done, but only 4 fully completed.
Despite these failing, I did loads of things that I didn’t expect to!
* I finished a novel and submitted it to a publisher
* I wrote the sequel to that novel, ready in case the publisher was interested
* I watched 68 educational television programmes
* I visited Brighton Buddhist Centre
* I spoke as part of group ritual
* I saw the Dalai Lama speak
* I read 24 books, which is double last year’s number!
* I created an e-course and a couple of freebies in the library
* I connected with two old friends for the first time in years
Two Thousand and Thirteen
So, where to?
This is difficult one. I’ve spent exactly six days in my flat, and just five days at my job. The idea of planning goals when I’m in a state of finding-my-feet feels counter-intuitive.
Also, having made such progress in 2011, I’m disappointed by missing out on so much.
So, I’m keeping it simple.
Two Words ~ Seeking Stars (or Star-Seeking)
One Theme ~ Improvement
Three Goals ~
- Reduce excess: food & ‘stuff’
i. Cut down on junk food
ii. Head for minimalism to the point where I’m content
- Create: relaxation & exercise
i. Meditate, dance & put systems in place to deal with work
ii. Get healthy/fit so that I feel happy in my own strength again
- Bury myself in learning
i. Read books and watch educational programs
ii. Continue home-study courses
How was your 2012?